Carl David Ceder has spent the majority of his legal career devoted to trying to successfully defend Driving While Intoxicated cases. Carl is firmly devoted to staying on the cutting edge of DWI Defense by receiving the most advanced training possible. Carl has conducted DWI jury trials in over 10 counties in the State of Texas, and has obtained both acquittal ("Not Guilty") verdicts and dismissals in cases where chemical results have been obtained (breath and blood test cases).
Why Hire Us?
Carl has completed the same DWI testing and training the police officers have. In fact, he has completed more training than most officers who make DWI arrests. He has successfully completed the requisite NHTSA training to actually instruct police officers on how to conduct the Standard Field Sobriety Tests. Most attorneys are not willing to invest the time and training necessary to defend DWI cases in a proper manner. An effective DWI Defense Attorney needs to have an extensive background in the various aspects and nuances related to DWI Defense. The laws related to DWI in Texas are very specific and unique, and they constantly evolve. An intimate familiary and knowledge of Texas DWI law is crucial to mounting a successful defense.
For example, your Attorney must possess a specific knowledge to be able to discredit the Intoxilyzer 5000 in court, if a chemical specimen is obtained via a breath test, in order to to discredit the police officer’s opinion of intoxication. If your attorney does not understand the basic fundamentals on how the Intoxilyzer works, and/or has not studied the various ways this machine can lead to false-positive results, they will not be able to successfully convey to jurors possible errors for them to consider at trial. In addition, if your Attorney hasn't spent a considerable amount of time studying and learning the proper way investigating officers should conduct the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests, and the underlying validation studies that theoretically support them, they would not be able to successfully cross-examine an arresting police officer who administered the SFST's as to why they determined a driver was intoxicated. Thus, you need an attorney who is fully devoted and dedicated to DWI Defense. Just as someone would not use a general practitioner physician to perform complex heart surgery, it is not wise for someone accused of DWI to just hire any attorney, and then simply hope for the best.
Carl has spent a considerable amount of time honing his skills and knowledge specifically relating to DWI Defense, including completion of the following:
- Awarded a Certificate of Completion for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)/International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Practitioner Course by Dr. Lance Platt
- Completed the Breath Alcohol Technician Course of the Intoxilyzer 5000EN according to the United States Department of Transportation Code Federal Regulations 49 Part 40 by Dr. Jan Semenoff
- Completed Advanced Training in the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests, specifically focused on Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus (HGN): Vision Science Perspectives by Dr. Steve Rubenzer
- Awarded a Certificate of Completion for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)/International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Practitioner Update Course by Dr. Lance Platt
- Awarded a Certificate of Completion for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)/International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Instructor Course by Dr. Lance Platt
- Awarded a Certificate of Completion for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)/International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Drug Evaluation and Classification Program (DRE) Overview Course by Dr. Lance Platt
- Attended the TCDLA Seminar 7th Annual Top Gun DWI: A Blood Test Trial From Start To Finish in Houston, Texas
- Attended the 13th Annual NACDL & NCDD seminar DWI Means Defend With Ingenuity Ultimate DUI Defense: Strategies for the Courtroom Warrior in Las Vegas, Nevada at Caesar's Palace Hotel & Casino
- Attended the 2009 TCDLA Seminar Stuart Kinard Memorial Advanced DWI Seminar in San Antonio, Texas
- Attended the 2010 TCDLA Seminar DWI Defense Project in Dallas, Texas
- Attended the 2011 TCDLA Seminar Mastering Scientific Evidence in DWI/DUI Cases in New Orleans, Louisiana
- Attended the 2011 TCDLA Seminar DWI Defense Project in Arlington, Texas
- Attended the Texas State Bar's Advanced Criminal Law Course in Houston, Texas
- Attended the Center for American and International Law (CAILAW) seminar: Jury Selection & Communicating with Jurors for the Defense in Criminal Cases
Questions to Ask A DWI Defense Attorney
- What portion of your practice is devoted to DWI Defense?
- What kind of training and experience have you received related to DWI Defense?
- How many DWI cases have you taken to trial?
- What are some recent cases you have tried and won? What were the issues presented that led to success?
- What will be the nature of the fees & costs? (Attorney fees are always going to vary based on the type of case and the jurisdiction of the proceeding, but remember, hiring the cheapest attorney is never advisable. That being said, a bad attorney can also be incredibly expensive);
- Are you a Certified Practitioner in NHTSA Standardized Field Sobriety Testing? (This means they have received the same training the police officers received at the academy. It is impossible to adequately represent someone without this knowledge);
- Are you a Certified NHTSA Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Instructor? (This means they are qualified to actually teach and instruct those seeking to become NHTSA Certified Practioners)
- Have you received any advanced training in DWI breath or blood cases?
- Do you have any advanced Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) training?
Standardized Field Sobriety Tests
There are many factors that could lead to poor performance on the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests, independent of how much alcohol a person may have consumed. Factors such as:
- Lack of sleep
- Lack of coordination
- Wind and dust
- Lights from surrounding traffic
- Lights from the patrol squad car
- Inner-ear problems
- Knee or Leg injuries
- Footwear, such as wearing boots or high heels
An experienced DWI Defense attorney should be familiar with how there are multiple factors that can to a false-positive reading in a chemical test related to a presumed BAC score. These include:
- Prescription or other over-the-counter drugs
- Medical conditions
- Airbag deployment in a vehicle accident
- Type of alcohol consumed
- Rate of consumption
- Lack of food while drinking
Contact Us Now
If an attorney does not ask you about factors such as these, or other possible defenses that may be used in a specific case (click here for a list of DWI Defenses), they likely are not familiar with the underlying law, science, and/or procedure pertaining to DWI Defense. Thus, they likely would not be able to help you mount the most successful defense possible in your DWI case. Call The Law Offices of Carl David Ceder now for further information which may be available related to possible defenses available to you. This is not the time to hire a less experienced attorney because they may be a family friend, or because the fees may be slightly lower, or perhaps even because you may simply be afraid to reach out to try and gather as much information as possible. In fact, The Law Offices of Carl David Ceder encourages all those who initiate contact to do as much research as possible, including interviewing various attorneys when deciding whom they should hire to represent them in court.
Our office hours and schedule is very flexible to meet your needs. We would be more than happy to meet you at a mutually convenient time so that you do not have to miss work, school, and other relevant activities performed usually during regular business hours. If the situation permits, we welcome meeting clients closer to where they live to ease any transportation issues which may arise. Our office handles the full range of DWI/DUI Defense cases, and all criminal charges related to intoxication. No matter what the situation is, or whih factors may be involved, with any DWI case, The Law Offices of Carl David Ceder is ready and willing to help you contest your charge and arrest to the fullest. The Law Offices of Carl David Ceder has successfully defended DWI cases all over the State of Texas. Carl has personally conducted DWI jury trials in over 10 different counties in the State of Texas. Carl and his staff will help protect your criminal record and your license to drive. Please call 214.702.CARL(2275) or 460.2000.DWI(394) to obtain further information.